Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Question about becoming a special ed teacher.?

Emery Blando: All you need to do at this point is take college track courses in high school. Start checking out colleges offering special ed degrees and the prescribed courses listed. That will give you some direction.

Esteban Lyson: The most important part of being a special education teacher is that you have to have the passion for working with kids who have special needs. It sounds as if you do have the passion for it, so you've got the essential qualification already. With a college education, you could also consider becoming a speech and language pathologist or an occupational therapist. There are many openings for speech therapists and OTs in special education. But I have been a special education teacher for many years, and I still love it. It's true that special education teachers do a lot of paperwork, but it's also true that you can learn systems that make it a bit easier. In my class, my assistants do a lot of the data collection, which takes a lot of! the pressure off me. And in any job, there are some parts that are not fun. But for me, the fun and rewarding parts of teaching make the less fun parts tolerable. I teach young children with special needs, ages 5 to 7, and I can't think of anything else that I would rather do. It's very difficult at times, sometimes frustrating, but never boring. It's so exciting to see my students learn new skills - everything from toileting training to using the computer to reading and math - and to know that I have the opportunity to help them learn the skills they can use to become successful adults.There will absolutely be a need for special ed teachers by the time you graduate. The pay isn't great, but I can pay the bills and I have a life that is satisfying on so many levels. If you have the passion, being a special education teacher is a great choice....Show more

Jose Calaycay: Special education is a lot of paperwork. Document, record, and document again. It is rewar! ding work, and it pays the bills (mostly), but it is hard and ! demanding work which requires a certain level of tollerance for abuse from students, parents, administrations and other teachers.The really neat part is you get to help kids. Kids are a lot of fun, and they pay you back in ways the school system has never thought of. I would do almost anything in the interest of my kids.I love it, and can't see myself doing anything else. I am also thought to be crazy by many people....Show more

Basil Blasingame: Study human services. It's like field work working with people in the community.You can work with infants to citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive